Silverstone update......
Visited Aberystwyth Police Station to try and give more information following my post of last week concerning the 'Boy (and girl) Racers' in Aberystwyth.
It would appear that the Police are really up against it and contrary to my earlier post are fully aware of the problem and are definitely taking it seriously.
The Police obviously follow up all complaints made but the CPS don't necessarily always decide to follow through with a prosecution.
CCTV is the domain of Ceredigion County Council and its efficacity depends on how well a street is lit and how well events are being observed and monitored at the other end.
There is clearly a problem with some street lighting in Aber not being up to scratch.
I have had occasion to speak to some of these young drivers in the past and some of them do have 'attitude'. Once, when I attempted to take down a vehicle registration number I was challenged by a surly youth who asked me what I thought I was doing.....
How about, exercising my democratic right ?
It's easy to see how people can be intimidated, particularly older people.
The other thing is that charging around in souped up dream machines is a fairly expensive hobby and these young kids (some of whom look to me to be as old as 25), don't look particularly deprived so it's not like you could say there was a 'root' cause for this behaviour.
The mobile phone is evidently a useful tool and the racers involved use it to great effect to alert fellow drivers to any police presence.
The only advice I can give is that we must try to aid the police as much as we can by being prepared to stand up and be counted as witnesses to this kind of activity and to try and get the relevent information necessary for prosecutions to follow like vehicle registraton numbers. If we are to expect the police to protect us and of course, defend those who are not breaking the law, then we must support them. They cannot do it alone.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home