Plaid the 'Sleeping Satelite'
Drove back to Aber on Friday morning listening to REAL RADIO.
Chris Rea's 'Driving Home for Christmas' was played and was naturally a fitting incidental to all the Christmas lights and decorations which people have festooned on the outside of their houses. I don't know what it is about Carmarthenshire, but residents here seem to be competing with Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas in so far as 'lighting up' is concerned. Electricity bills must be humungous, but it really is very pretty and cheering and I'll bet all the neighbourhood kids just love it. I notice some people are hanging buckets on their fences and asking for donations to charity of the many visitors who have come along especially to enjoy the displays. It's good to know that the Christmas spirit is still alive and well.
Another song played was Tamsin Archer's 'Sleeping Satelite' which I haven't heard for ages. It seemed to totally sum up the happenings of the week at the Assembly really. I found myself singing along :
"I blame you for the moonlit nights..... "( erm, admitedly, that's not one we can lay at Ieuan Wyn Jones' feet)
but,
"I blame you for the dream that died ...."
Yes, absolutely. Full culpability definitely has to rest with Plaid for that one.
If push had come to shove in the budget negotiations,it's fair to say that forming a 'caretaker' government would have been a leap of faith for most of us in the
opposition parties, but we would have been willing to give it a try.
We would have been willing to show the people of Wales that they could be offered a choice.
We wanted to show them that they had an alternative to Labour.
Plaid negotiated (and it can hardly be called that when we look at the sum of money they gleaned) for £ 300,000 extra and a quiet life. Whatever the future bodes, they will not now ever be considered equal in any partnership with Labour.
The bigger prize has been left on the table......all because Plaid went into election mode instead of thinking about real long term investment opportunity and what devolution could one day deliver for our country. How disappointing and how at odds with their stated aims.
It is just as well perhaps that things have turned out as they have...
How hard governing would have been with a disparate group of individuals who would possibly have always represented the weak link in the chain. The people of Wales don't deserve that.
Ah well, heigh ho.... or perhaps as it's almost Christmas :
'Ho,ho,ho.....' - I daresay that's what Labour are doing as they have the last laugh !

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home