Saturday, November 11, 2006

Trefor's a Winner !

Ceredigion Conservative Association met today in order to choose a Welsh Conservative candidate for the forthcoming Assembly Elections.

I am delighted to say that 26 year old Trefor Jones who is a teacher in Carmarthen was selected.
Trefor is a first language Welsh speaker who originally hails from Ynys Mon and has many family connections here in Ceredigion.

I first got to know him five years ago when as a student at Aberystwyth Uni he contested the famous Aberystwyth East Ward By-election which was brought about by the untimely resignation of a Plaid Cymru councillor - (Interestingly, I think there may be another one on the cards due to similar circumstances. Groan, groan ! - further expense for the County Council).

Jonesey really pushed up our vote in that particular election and proved immensely popular on the doorstep -(naturally I am biased because I was his proud agent!).
In fact as I recall, even a famous Plaid Cymru lady councillor thought he was a bit of a hearthrob !

Anyway, today his speech at the selection was well structured and relevant.
Moreover, it was passionate - yes P A S S I O N A T E - and Lord knows, that was a breath of fresh air.

In so far as candidates are concerned, Trefor follows in the footsteps of some 'Ceredigion Greats' - notably, the late Tom Raw Rees who fought Ceredigion in 1983 - (who, incidentally, would certainly have approved of today's result), and also Paul Davies who picked up the Conservative vote by its bootstraps in 2001. Paul is now fighting Preseli Pembrokeshire for us in the Assembly Elections.

Today represented a double celebration for Trefor as he recently became engaged to fiance, Ellie who is studying at Aber Uni.

I really look forward to working with Trefor over the coming months. The man's a winner !

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa Francic wrote "In so far as candidates are concerned, Trefor follows in the footsteps of some 'Ceredigion Greats' "

Does that include John Harrison from last year, when your vote fell by 12%?

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Aberystwyth, Mid & West Wales